secant clinometer

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed May 2 22:34:39 BST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 05:08:29PM -0300, Carlos Gu?no Grohmann wrote:
> Quick one: can survex process data acquired with a secant clinometer?
> We just received a new clino and we get the wrong model, instead of
> degrees/percent, we get one with secant/percent...
>
> I know we can use the percentage value, but can we use the secant value?

Not without changing Survex.

It's probably fairly easy to support this, but is it useful to?

Both the percent and secant scales presuambly stop before +/-90, but
secant won't change much around the horizontal so it seems you're
best off reading the percent scale (or returning the clino for a
different model!)

Also secant(x) = secant(-x), but then it's also positive for all angles
from -90 to 90, so a negative secant reading could probably be used to
mean a negative angle.