Survex 1.1.8 development snapshot uploaded

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 30 17:10:39 BST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:27:24AM -0300, Carlos Gu?no Grohmann wrote:
> I couldn't install it on Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.
> Gives me an "Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libc6"

Are you trying to install the debian binary package?  That probably
won't work on Ubuntu, though you might be able to force it to install
with:

dpkg -i --force-depends-version survex_1.1.8-1_i386.deb

That may not work, and isn't really recommended.  It's better to
rebuild the source package:

wget http://survex.com/software/1.1.8/debian/survex_1.1.8-1.tar.gz
tar zxf survex_1.1.8-1.tar.gz
cd survex-1.1.8
debuild binary

If the debuild step moans about some missing packages (e.g. fakeroot),
install them and then retry debuild:

sudo apt-get install fakeroot
debuild binary

Now check that the packages have built:

cd ..
ls -l *.deb

You should now have:

survex_1.1.8-1_i386.deb
survex-svxedit_1.1.8-1_i386.deb

Or if you're not on an i386 box, the files will have amd64 or whatever
in the name instead.

Now install using:

dpkg -i survex_1.1.8-1_i386.deb

And similarly for svxedit if you want that.

And you can now delete survex-1.1.8, survex_1.1.8-1.tar.gz, and the
built packages.

I'm intending to start providing backported packages for the latest
Ubuntu but I won't have time to do this before September.