Survex 1.0.39 released

Andy Waddington surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 12:30:57 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 2006-01-18 11:01, you wrote:

> What distribution of linux are you using?

Aurora Linux 2.0 beta 2 (sparc64 port of Fedora core 3)

> It is likely that you need to
> have a gtk-devel or similar package installed as well as the plain gtk
> ones. gtk-config is used to "determine the compiler and linker flags
> that should be used to compile and link programs that use  GTK+" so is
> only relevant for people who want to compile their own GTK+ programs,
> hence the separation of the packages

I'll go and look for that. But my main point for the Survex authors
was the lack of clues about how to find this out. Binary RPMs specify
their dependencies (which can be hell in itself) but these source
RPMs don't seem to report things like "needs gtk-devel" in the
same way, so more supporting documentation is needed for those
wanting to build Survex who shouldn't have to research a whole
dependency tree themselves (much duplication of effort to find
informatrion which teh authors must already know...)

Andy