small patch to man pages

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 3 06:18:19 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 12:27:28AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> There is a bug in the print.ini man page in survex 1.0.39. The various
> backslash-preceded symbols \0, \t \n etc don't come out in the file, and
> there is a coresponding error:
> usr/share/man/man5/print.ini.5.gz /tmp/zman2FlHFA:94: a space character is
> not allowed in an escape name

Yeah, I noticed this but couldn't see how to fix it at the time.

> This patch fixes the problem by escaping the backslashes:

While this will fix the man pages, it breaks the various other versions
of the manual (HTML, PDF, RTF, etc).

The docbook-to-man man page suggests using the SGML entity name for
characters which cause a problem like this (so use \ instead of a
literal backslash here) but when I tried that before it just came out as
\ in the manual (but it did fix the man page).

But I've just realised that I can define \ myself at the top
of manual.sgml and then it works in both cases.  Hurrah!