Survex 1.1.3 test version uploaded

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 10:31:03 BST 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:12:41AM +0100, Andy Waddington wrote:
> On Tuesday 2005-09-13 04:18, Olly Betts wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:45:41PM +0100, Andy Waddington wrote:
> > > Even some of the most rudimentary of computer games on even the oldest
> > > of hardware (things like Tetris....) allow me to choose what key performs
> > > what function, and remembers what I chose for the next time I want to
> > > play the game. Why can't the Survex programs do likewise ?
> >
> > Because that would be a disaster on a shared machine on an expedition.
> > Which is a rather common usage scenario for Survex.
>
> But surely you would store the bindings in /home/<user>/<whatever> on
> a per user basis ? Then when each user logged in to his or her desktop
> he/she'd get the preferred bindings.

That's a pain on an expedition.  It might be less of a pain if you were
using a system like OS X where you can switch between different people's
sessions with the click of a button.

It is certainly essential to have a good set of controls, but I'm
unconvinced that this high-and-mighty approach of preventing people from
configuring their own mouse bindings is a good idea.  It's fair enough
not offering extraneous configuration options, but in the case of mouse
bindings I think it is something sufficiently elementary that it can be
left to the individual users/expeditions/whatever to sort themselves
out.  We're not dealing with babies after all.

Mark