Win32 - bad performance with maximized window

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Sep 13 02:57:54 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 01:31:38PM -0300, Toni Cavalheiro wrote:
> I tried 1400x1050 with 16-bit colour and everything is perfect!
> You are right: the problem is 1400x1050 using 32-bit colour.
>
> Here is the system information:

Thanks.  That all looks ok though.

It may be possible to create a lower colour depth opengl display.
Currently we just let it pick the depth, which defaults to that of the
screen.  It is possible to request a particular depth, but I don't know
if such requests are ignored, and I suspect that working in a different
depth to the screen will be slower and it's not clear when we should
use this approach.

So I'm inclined for now just to note in the documentation that this
effect can happen and can be worked around by using a smaller window or
lower colour depth.  If the problem turns out to be widespread we can
investigate the options.