Survex 1.1.3 test version uploaded

Andy Waddington surveys at pennine.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 21:04:35 BST 2005

On Monday 2005-09-12 20:46, Mark Shinwell wrote:

> Writing such a configuration interface is a reasonable amount of hassle
> if it is to be graphical.

OK, so why can't it be a compilation option ? Just a bunch of things
you pass to ./configure ? Surely you need to do that sort of thing
anyway to deal with internationalisation issues - not all keyboards
are laid out the same way...

> However the main point is that there are more pressing things to be
> getting on with...

If you are complaining that the interface is virtually unusuable unless
you have two hands free, it seems pretty pressing.

Personally, I prefer to use either the keyboard or the mouse. I really
detest anything that requires me to use both at once. If I'm doing a
job which mainly depends on the mouse, the keyboard is as likely as
not to be stuck out of the way somewhere, like on a shelf above the
monitor, or vertically by the side of the monitor against the wall. For
viewing a cave, I am unlikely to want to type in a load of text, so I'd
prefer the mouse for everything, chording if necessary.

When I did QA for Acorn, I reported anything that required pressing keys
to modify mouse action as a bug report, and a number were indeed
treated as such, although it was regarded as reasonable in programs
where you would definitely be using the keyboard anyway...

Andy