Survex 1.1.3 test version uploaded (try again, from the right mailbox...)

Mark Shinwell Mark.Shinwell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 20:46:55 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:45:41PM +0100, Andy Waddington wrote:
> On Monday 2005-09-12 15:28, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > If starting from scratch, we'd probably not use keys like "P" and "L"
> > unmodified as accelerators (Ctrl+Shift+P would be less problematic) but
> > that's a change which would really wind up existing users.

I think I'd still go for single-letter keyboard accelerators.  They do
have merit in certain circumstances (witness Gimp, for example; I
presume Photoshop is similar) and avoid scenes of Twister on the
keyboard such as when one is using emacs.

> Even some of the most rudimentary of computer games on even the oldest
> of hardware (things like Tetris....) allow me to choose what key performs
> what function, and remembers what I chose for the next time I want to
> play the game. Why can't the Survex programs do likewise ?

Writing such a configuration interface is a reasonable amount of hassle
if it is to be graphical.  It would probably also involve re-writing
some of the event handling code, which already suffers from problems
relating to accelerator keys.  Bindings which could be edited via a
configuration file would probably still suffer from the latter problem.
However the main point is that there are more pressing things to be
getting on with...

Mark