survex an suse linux 9.3

John Pybus john at pybus.org
Sun Aug 7 14:11:34 BST 2005

Stephan Grün wrote:
> hello at all!
>
> i've found survex this days and i want to try it with suse linux 9.3. i've
> downloaded the linux rpm-package. but i'm not able to install survex
> automaticly with yast, there is no result! :-(
>
> what's wrong? can i install survex "with hand"? perhaps someone can give me
> some tips. (best in german! ;-))

The RPM package made available on the survex website is not a binary
rpm, but a source rpm (you can notice this by its filename of the form
*.src.rpm rather than, for instance, *.i386.rpm).  This is due to the
difficulty of providing one binary rpm which will work on the many
rpm-based distributions.

Before you can install survex you'll need to compile it into binary
form.  As the instructions on the download page (almost) say you can do
this with the command "rpmbuild --rebuild survex-1.0.35-1.src.rpm",
which will produce binary rpms for survex, and the aven viewer.  Note
that for rpmbuild to work you will have to have compilation tools (gcc
etc) installed on your system as well as wxGTK, including the wxGTK
development package.

I am using Fedora, or RedHat distributions so can't help with prebuilt
binaries for SUSE.

Good luck,

John