Route Find utility

Erin Lynch hongmeiguicc at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 04:40:25 BST 2004

--- Philip Underwood <furbrain at furbrain.screaming.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 11:13, Josep Guarro wrote:
> > Some time ago I used Chasm because it had a nice utility to find
> > the route between to survey stations and calculate its length.

> how many people would like this feature? There'd probably need to be

I'd find it really handy, as would the scientist at the Karst Institute
in Guilin.  They have to come up with all sorts of stats when designing
showcaves (length of tourist route, length of boat ride, total amount
of up and down in the tourist route, etc.).  If you're adding the
capability to do route lengths between two points, could you do length,
plan length, and vertical length?

More long term, it'd be useful if Aven could estimate the cave volume
based on LRUD data. Fengshan County is applying for Chinese national
geopark status based on having the biggest caves in China by volume, so
the guys at the Karst Inst. need to come up with volume estimates for a
number of caves throughout China.

Cheers,
Erin