Survex 1.1.1 test version uploaded

Lev S Bishop lev.bishop at yale.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:55:50 GMT 2004

I tried installing survex 1.1.1 finally. It doesn't work so well for me.
I get the "couldn't add image to the list" error when I start Aven. I
dismiss that dialog and when I open a .3d file I get a dialog "Bug in
program detected! Please report this to the authors." After which Aven
wedges solid. It seems to be an accelerated graphics related issue because
when I turn down the level of hardware acceleration in the advanced
display properties dialog then things work (though I do get the "one half
of the window doesn't repaint until I click on it" issue that others have
reported). Here is what Aven's help->about says for the highest level of
hardware acceleration that allows Aven to work:

Windows NT 5.1 (build 2600, Service Pack 2)
wxWidgets 2.5.2
Display Depth: 32 bpp (colour)
OpenGL 1.1.0
Microsoft Corporation
GDI Generic
GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
R8G8B8
Max Texture size: 1024x1024
Max Viewport size: 16384x16384
Point Size 0.500-10.000 (granularity 0.125)

Here is what help->about says for the next highest level of hardware
acceleration (where Aven crashes):
Windows NT 5.1 (build 2600, Service Pack 2)
wxWidgets 2.5.2
Display Depth: 32 bpp (colour)
OpenGL 1.3.4201 WinXP Release
ATI Technologies Inc.
RADEON 7000 SW TCL x86/SSE
GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_S3_s3tc GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos
GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_vertex_streams
GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATIX_texture_env_route GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels
GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array
GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_blend_square
GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_WIN_swap_hint
WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control
R8G8B8
Max Texture size: 2048x2048
Max Viewport size: 2048x2048
Point Size 0.500-64.000 (granularity 0.125)

I'm running on a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop, and in case the above doesn't
make it clear, this has an ATI Mobility Radeon and I'm running on Win XP
Home SP2. There are quite a few "compatibility" settings and "performance"
settings for the graphics card. If I had any clue what I was doing I might
try changing them to see if it helped. I'll be glad to run further tests
if anybody asks me to.

Lev