drawing up - seeking advice

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:13:13 -0500 (EST)

I was recently looking at packages for drawing up a map based around
survex centreline data and think the idea of working from scanned notebook
sketches has to be the way to go. I spent some time playing with both
carto and xtherion. They key technological difference seems to be that
carto warps the scanned sketch to the data but therion warps the data to
the sketch (and then warps the drawing back). The carto approach seems
better but I found it essentially unusable on my computer because it was
too slow (written in java; I have 5year old dual 500MHz P4).

Now I just have to work out how to get therion to neatly join up the
snippets corresponding to each sketch page...

Cheers,
Simeon.