drawing up - seeking advice

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:07:15 +1100

Patrick Warren wrote:

> Guys,
and Girls ????

> I'm drawing up one of the china caves Wang Long Dong (Duo Ji, Jingxi)
> from our trip in 2003.  It's a river cave, ie very long (several km) and
> thin (5 - 20m). I've drawn it up in rough at A1 at which scale you can
> get a decent amount of the passage detail.  I'm looking for advice how
> to 'professionalise' it.  For previous (smaller) surveys I have been
> scanning the hand-drawn passage walls and details into an image file,
> cleaning it up, and adding text using paint shop pro (but obviously you
> could use anything similar).  However I will struggle to cope with an
> A1-sized 300 dpi image file.

I'm assuming your problem is lack of memory in dealing with the A1 bit
maps. Use the Gimp (or photoshop) and read in the big A1 image once, cut
it up into smaller sections eg 4 x A4's or maybe even smaller say A5.
Then read in that image as a layer and create a new layer of vector
based lines and fills over the top. That will be your professional cave
map. It will be small and can be A1 without being too big in file size.

Mike
--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If