wxGTK libs

John P N Pybus john.pybus@zoology.oxford.ac.uk
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:39:14 +0100

Andy Waddington on Cave Surveying wrote:
> I decided I ought to have a recent (ie. more recent than 0.93 for RISC OS)
> version of Survex. So I went to the downloads page and followed instructions
> for RPM-based Linux. The links on that page to wxGTK and wxGTK-devel
> rpms on sourceforge seem to have some sort of problem - both files came
> down to me as about 14k, and apparently broken. These same packages
> from other sources (Mandrake mirrors or FreshRPMS) are both over 500k.

You've been caught by the sourceforge mirror system.

The difference between the redhat packages linked to, and others is that
they are hosted on sourceforge.net.  I presume you just saved the link.
  If so what you have is two copies of the sourceforge mirror redirect
page.  If you open the link in a browser, rather than downloading it,
then it should redirect you to the actual file from one of its mirrors.

<rant target="sourceforge.net"> It's a hugely irritating way to manage
things and makes it very hard to get the files from the command line.
It is exceedinly slow if you have many files to download, and very often
catches people out. </rant>

John