wxGTK libs

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:18:01 +0100

+++ Andy Waddington on Cave Surveying [03-07-21 15:53 +0100]:
> I decided I ought to have a recent (ie. more recent than 0.93 for RISC OS)
> version of Survex. So I went to the downloads page and followed instructions
> for RPM-based Linux. The links on that page to wxGTK and wxGTK-devel
> rpms on sourceforge seem to have some sort of problem - both files came
> down to me as about 14k, and apparently broken. These same packages
> from other sources (Mandrake mirrors or FreshRPMS) are both over 500k.
>
> But those rpms form other sources seemed to install OK, so I then moved
> on to
>
> rpm --recompile Survex-1.0.25-1.src.rpm
> RPM build errors:

<snippage>

> I'm using Mandrake 9.0 (which doesn't have
> wxWindows stuff on two the CDs of the download edition, nor on
> Mandrake sites). It occurs to me that I've never managed to get a
> version of Survex working on PC hardware - I usually get to some
> sort of problem like this and just go back to using RISC OS - but
> my RISC OS machine can't live for ever...

As you surmise it looks like you need the wxwindows development libraries
installed to compile survex. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what you need
to make it work - something like wxGTK-dev* I would expect. Instead I'll
give you the usual much less helpful advice - 'install Debian' - then you'd
just need to do 'apt-get install survex' and it would sort all this stuff
out for you and you wouldn't have to know or care. :-)

There are still Riscos versions a lot more recent than 0.93. Get the most
recent one of those anyway.