printing broken on WinXP

Matt Ryan matt-lists-survex@mdryan.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:32:03 -0000 (Asia/Chongqing)

>> Printing with printwin seems to be broken
>> in 1.0.22 on (Chinese) WinXP.  1.0.12 works
>> just fine on the platform I'm using, but with
>> all of the more recent releases [...]

> I wonder if the "Chinese" part is the problem, since
> nobody else has reported this, and 1.0.13 added code
> to recognise a Chinese version of Windows (though the
> translations haven't been done yet).
>
> Could you try explicitly telling Survex to use English.
> This is how:
>
>     For MS Windows NT4, 2000, and XP, you should proceed
> as follows (this description is written from MS Windows
> 2000 - it should be similar on NT4 and XP): [...]

Hmm, this bit didn't help much - given that it's a Chinese version of
Windows and I don't read Chinese very well...

> If this makes the problem go away, it should be
> easy to fix properly.

Using set from a command shell appears to do the job though, and setting
SURVEXLANG to en does indeed appear to make the problem go away.  The
same problem exists on Chinese Win98 as well.

> If not, could you elaborate a little.  You say
> "prompting for a resolution", but we don't ask
> for a resolution!  Do you mean "prompting for a
> *scale*"?  Or perhaps which pages to print?  Or
> something else entirely...

Something else entirely (I'm sure Erin was very tired!).  It's the final
confirmation of the scale that's the problem, the final few lines of
output look vaguely like this,

Using scale 1:500
This will need 6 pages (3x2).
 Continue prcore.c:377: assert(*szReplies) failed - list of possible
replies is
empty
printwin.exe: Bug in program detected! Please report this to the authors

HTH,

Matt

PS - have you got someone in mind to do the Chinese translation or
should we be looking for someone?

--=20
Matthew Ryan
matt@mdryan.net    <-- Please note my new e-mail address