Yes, I get the SAME Illegal Instruction (yes NVTDM) AFTER installing O/S 2000 (fwd)

Wookey wookey@aleph1.co.uk
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:15:24 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu 31 Oct,  Jimginas@aol.com wrote:

[Something horrible happened to your line-wrapping in this mail]

> I have installed Survex on a friend's laptop which we taking on a trip
> to Thailand at Christmas.

> From a DOS window we can run 'cavern' and  'printhpgl' without any
> problems, but when we try 'caverot' we get the  following error
> message:16 bit MS-DOS subsystem Command Prompt - caverot <> cavename

>The NUTDM CPU has encountered an illegal instructionCS:c000 IP:00c0
> OP:63 68 6e 6f 6c[it may say NVTDM - I can't read my handwriting!!!!]

It will be NVTDM I expect. Or NTVDM (NT virtual device manager?)

> The
> machine is a DEFT version 2.01x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 10AT/AT
> compatible
> 130,420 KB RAM
> and the operating system is
> Windows NT4.00.1381
> As it is a works machine it has been configured in a weird and wonderful
> wayto allow it to be connected to the works network.Have you come across
> this problem before and do you know of a solution?My friend will also
> discuss the problem with the IT department at work.ThanksMartin Ellis

Caverot tries to use the graphics system - the other programs do not. We
need to know which version of survex you tried and any info NT can give you
on the graphics in order to know what's actually wrong, but see below.

I recall there is a problem with using the DOS version of Survex on NT as
it prevents anything more exotic than VGA in it's video emulation. There
are caverot options to make it use a lower resolution which will probably
make it work, but the correct fix is almost certainly to use the win32
version of survex instead of the DOS version, then you won't be fighting
the system and it'll be faster.

Download the current version and try that. Tell us how you get on.