Free Rotation Mode in Aven

Lev Bishop lev.bishop@yale.edu
Sun, 26 May 2002 18:46:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Olly Betts wrote:

> Does anyone actually use aven's "Free Rotation Mode"?  Mark suggested it's
> probably a failed experiment and should be removed, and I'm inclined to agree.
> However, I don't want to annoy people who are using it (although I'm not sure
> it's actually documented anywhere...)

Don't think its documented but I use it. It's not as well-implemented as
the equivalent functionality in caverot (the tilt-up tilt-down keys). What
I like to do in caverot  is set the cave spinning and while that is
happening use those keys to tilt up and down a little. I find this helps
with getting a feel for the 3d structure of the cave better - a sort of
fly-by effect, i guess. Of course before doing this you need to carefully
choose the centre of rotation on both plan and elevation.

I find aven's free-rotation scheme rather confusing and I get the cave
oriented right mostly by trial and error. I'm used to Pro/Engineer's
rotation scheme (which I think is also used by the other MCAD packages out
there), but perhaps these are better suited to rotating models of
mechanical parts around than caves.

Lev