Survex (interface expectations)

Philip Underwood furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net
17 Jul 2002 10:09:25 +0100

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 15:21, Andy Waddington on Survey stuff wrote:
<SNIP some stuff>
> Now, a way forward that might satisfy both sides of this argument would be
> a separate "veneer" which had those menu items, and when you chose "New"
> it would open an empty document in your favourite text editor (which you
> could no doubt configure via a plain text .conf file :) and when you chose
> "submit to survex" or even "run", it would send the file off to survex, the
> command line program, and pop up a "Save as" dialogue for you to choose a
> location to save the .3d .pos .err etc. files (whichenver ones you had opted
> to generate).
Like Chasm then. Survex does have a GUI front end. It looks quite nasty
on windows. It crashes quite a lot. It does allow you to select either a
built-in text editor that understands svx format (a bit), or just use
your favourtie text editor. Oh, and I wrote it.
If anyone wants to have a look at how a GUI for survex _could_ look, try
at chasm.sourceforge.net
I had stopped developing it, but it looks like progress on the
"official" survex gui will be quite along time coming, so maybe I should
restart...
Mutter.