Survex 1.0.4 released

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:51:10 +0100

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:03:27PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Anyway. Aven segfaults if you try to open something that isn't a .3d file (eg
> a .svx file or a Debian .dsc file). If you run it on the same file from the
> command line then it pops up a window telling you it's not a valid 3d file
> and then opens it's main window OK.
>
> Version 1.0.1 does not suffer this problem, correctly saying 'bad 3d image
> file'.

It's trying to free an uninitialised pointer in 1.0.4.  I'll fix it in 1.0.5
but that's likely to be a week or so away.

> Looks like some room for improvement here. I'm inclined not to upload this
> release to replace the 1.0.1 currently in Debian unless we think this serious
> flaw is outweighed by the other imporovements.

There are fixes between 1.0.1 and 1.0.4 for several things which should work
but don't in 1.0.1.  I'd say that outweighs a problem with something which
shouldn't work and actually crashes.

There's an obvious workaround - don't try to load random files into Aven.
If you were to file this as a bug in the debian bug tracking system, the
severity level would probably be minor ("a problem which doesn't affect the
package's usefulness, and is presumably trivial to fix").  I think it would be
hard to justify it as normal, and it's certainly not important ("a bug which
has a major effect on the usability of a package, without rendering it
completely unusable to everyone").  A bug with priority normal or lower
wouldn't stop the package moving from unstable into testing.

As you've built it, I'd suggest uploading it unless you feel strongly against
doing so.