Java Caverot applet

=?iso-8859-1?q?clewin=20griffith?= clewingriffith@yahoo.com
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 01:14:53 +0100 (BST)

 --- Eric Madelaine <Eric.Madelaine@sophia.inria.fr>
wrote: >

> Question: How big a file can you visualize with
> reasonnable performance ?
>
> Eric.

Look at www.su.ic.ac.uk/caving/caverot/loser.php3
This is a pretty huge data set.

On my machine ,1Ghz :-), this was rather jerky. It
probably did about 5fps when it wasn't thinking about
other things like mouse movements and 1fps if that
otherwise.  Aven doesn't even break sweat. Lesson:
Never use java unless you have to.

IE4 on a PII 350 works perfectly, as you would expect,
and runs at a constant ~4fps which is good enough.

More important is the file download size. This was
~90k
for the whole loser plateau, which is quite good for a
large system. It's about 9 bytes per leg. So for a
smaller system, that's 1second download for the
executable and 20sec for the file.

Normally, I wouldn't include surface legs, but for a
bechmark it doesn't matter.

Clewin