Java Caverot applet

Mike Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:31:14 +1000

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 05:01:08PM +0100, Paul Fretwell wrote:
> It also works fine on my machine (running I.E. 5.0 under Windows 2000).
> The fixed width web page makes the text run off the right hand side of the
> screen though.

Seems like its all works fine for you but alas for me...

1. It's real neato ! I like it.

2. After about 30 seconds the motion becomes jerky and Netscape hangs :-(
Scrollbars can't be used nor can the close button. You need to manualy kill
it. Running top while Netscape loads your applet shows the Netscape CPU
usage going up from a normal of 10% while loading a static page to 60,70,80
and eventually 95%. So it seems like its needing/leaking resources fast.

The Netscape is 4.77 and the same prob occurs on Linux and on IRIX operating
system too.

I tried it on Windows with Netscape 4.77 and its fine. Runs for ages with no
probs.

But whether this is to do with the caverot.jar code or the implementation of
Java on Linux or IRIX or the known memory leak that Netscape has on Linux I
dont know.

Mike
--
There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman? -- Woody Allen

Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Home: http://www.speleonics.com.au
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.