still need help

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 07:16:53 +0100

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:58:58AM +0300, cristi flueraru wrote:
> i followed the directions and i studied hard the help files.
> now i have some .svx test exemples but i still don't understand
> how to use the program.
> i obtained allthough some .inf, .3d, .pos and .err files for my tests.
> what i do not understand is where to type the commands.

Traditionally, survex has been a command-line based package.  You need to
open a command window (MSDOS window or NT shell) and type the commands into
that.  Look in the Start Menu, probably under Programs.

To make life easier, people often set up mappings, so that you can
right-click on a .svx file and select "Process", and then double-click on
he resulting .3d file to view it.

The forthcoming 0.97 release includes a Windows installation wizard which
sets up such mappings for you.  There are prerelease versions on
www.survex.com, but beware that the most recent includes an old version of
aven (a slip on my  part) which can't read the newer .3d files.  So if you
want to experiment I'd suggest trying:

http://www.survex.com/software/test/0.97-prerelease3/survex-win32-0.97-prerelease3.exe

If you're after a more tightly integrated GUI package, Phil Underwood's chasm
provides one and is built on top of survex:

http://chasm.sourceforge.net/