Survex 0.98 prerelease 1 available

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:36:44 +0100

0.97 is released, and progress toward 1.0 continues.

I've uploaded the first prerelease of Survex 0.98.  As usual download links
are on:

http://www.survex.com/

This prerelease is available for all platforms.  The biggest change is the
addition of support for interleaved data formats, e.g.:

*data diving station depth newline tape compass
1  0.0
       12.0 010
2  8.7
       18.6 025
3  10.4

Other notable changes are a collection of improvements to character set
handling, the addition of a grid in aven, and an improvement to internal
data structures which enables cavern to run faster and use less memory.

This represents most of the work I plan for 0.98, so hopefully we can get to
a release version in a couple of weeks.  Ideally I'd like to be very close
to version 1.0 before the CUCC Austria expedition which starts on August
4th.  Then we can hammer it with 5 weeks of use in the field before
polishing it up for release.

So if you've got a spare half-hour or so, please give these versions a try
and let me know anything that seems to need attention.

Full list of user-visible changes between the 0.97 release and
0.98-prerelease1:

* Covariance matrices are symmetric - now only store 6 of the 9 entries.
  Typically uses 10% less memory and is 15% faster.

* caverot: adjust to speed of machine/size on initial draw, rather than
  on first input from user.

* (MS Windows version): now handle oe-ligatures.

* (Unix version): discover character set by looking at $LANG.

* (MS Windows version): discover character set from Windows.

* Transliterate accented characters that can't be represented in the
  current character set.

* Added support for Latin9 (iso-8859-15) character set.

* aven: added optional grid.

* aven: reporting errors in a message box wasn't working (wxWindows
  bug).

* cavern: fixed *entrance - it was trying to insist its argument was a
  survey, not a station.

* printps/printpcl/printwin: Improved handling of accents on printouts.

* cavern: a leg with the same station at both ends now causes an error
  rather than just a warning.

* cavern: added station name to "station equated to itself" message.

* cavern: allow interleaved data formats.

* sorterr: new utility for resorting .err files by various criteria.

* xcaverot: buttons now size to widest label; added --pda switch to
  turn off less useful buttons for use on small screens (such as the
  ipaq PDA).