What do you want to see in Aven?

Mike Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:17:34 +1000

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 03:11:59AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> OK, here's my list (some of these are in TODO and BUGS but I suspect few
> people read those):
>
> * "reload same file" for when you rerun cavern to update the .3d file.
>   Could be automated - either check periodically if timestamp has changed
>   (beware speed issues if you're on a network drive) or perhaps better check

Something a bit like when you are looking at a document in xdvi and latex
the file the dvi image automatically updates - you don't have to press a
refresh key or button.
Latexers will know what Im talking about here :-)

> And here's a few less vital ideas:
>
> * Think of some nice way to handle names of equated stations - at present
>   one name hides the other

Perhaps show one label only but make it appear distinctive to indicate it is
an equated station and that there is another name for it. A right click of
the mouse brings up the menu which says "toggle station name" and this will
toggle the other name on. That way you can pick what name you want for a
printout rather than having both names overlapping.
If a station is equated to more than one other point like at a junction one
might be able to have instead of "toggle station name" a menu from which one
can pick.

There are so many possible functionalities that are suggested that I wonder
if Aven will become bloated and slow. Can some of these useful but not
"base" functionalities be made as loadable modules that can be incorportaed as
plugins like the Gimp (image manipulation program). That way users who want
a fast Aven can have a basic but fast program and users who want lots more
things can just load in what functionality they like (and remove it later if
they want a smaller executable again) ?

Mike
--
Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628