XML

Phil Underwood furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net
Sat, 6 May 2000 19:19:52 +0100

My tuppence worth:
While the CaveSurveyXML looks like a good survey format, it would be
extremely tedious to actually type in all the formatting, and it would al=
so
be hard(ish) to directly incorporate data from other formats. One advanta=
ge
of the current survex format is that it is very easy to read data in pret=
ty
much arbitrary formats, using the *data command. So what would be needed
would be some program which takes in the raw data and creates a
CaveSurveyXML file, yes?

Also re: CaveMapXML; these files will also be substantially larger than
either the old .3d or the .3dx formats, and so quite large for use on a
Psion or Palm Pilot.

On the other hand, I like the idea of having a stylesheet or some such to
describe how to display the cave - Chasm can currently selectively disabl=
the display of parts of some files, and can also selectively colour bits =
of
cave. This is all saveable in the .3dx format. However, when you reproces=
the data, all the formatting is lost. Which is tedious. Maybe I'll write =
primitive stylesheet and a program to combine stylesheet with data.

 --=20
Phil Underwood <furbrain@furbrain.screaming.net>
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/bighairyone/
"It's not what you've got, it's how you make it explode."