Interactive Extended Elevations

Michael Lake Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:39:49 +1000

Andy Waddington on Survey stuff wrote:
> Here we go again ...
> There should be no commands in a survex file. Survex's format describes a
> survey, not what to do with it. Anything which describes the data, like an
> estimate of how accurate it is, is part of the survey. Anything which says
> how to display it or process it is a separate issue and should be in a
> separate file.

I'd like to add here that I agree strongly with Andy. Phils
Chasm is great but I it does need to maintain a separation
between the common raw data as collected in a cave and the
information which specifies `how' it is viewed. Its like
content (my.doc) and stylesheets in a word processor
(mystyle.sty).
One other problem with putting style info into data files is
that the Survex data files would become less portable to
other cave survey formats.

I admit that I have yet to fully understand all the
variables and algorithms involved in producing extended vs
true elevations but I am working on what tags should be in
my CaveScript Cave Mapping XML to support this. I'm still
thinking on this yet as its not actually obvious as to what
to do here. One thing that is clear though is that (for
CaveScript data format) survey data would go into the
CaveSurvey XML file and stuff like your extended elevation
and colouring info would be in a CaveMap XML file which
references the Survey file.

If you have suggestions as to the tags and attributes that
you would like let me know as it would guide me in working
out what's needed.

Mike

PS. The URL for my CaveScript has changed as my uni has now
moved to a Novel Network. The new URL is with my sig at the
bottom. Follow the CaveScript links or go straight to:
http://www.science.uts.edu.au/~michael-lake/cavescript/
The svx2xml and xml2svx now supports more survex commands
but I have yet to put the new version on the web site.

Michael Lake
University of Technology, Sydney
Email: mailto:Mike.Lake@uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02
9514 1628
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything
technical.