Should I shut down this list?

Andy Waddington - cave surveying mailbox surveys at pennine.ddns.me.uk
Fri Sep 29 18:25:15 BST 2023

Sometime before sending David Cooke <dave at david-cooke.me.uk> typed (and on Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:42:03 +0100 sent):

> It is
> virtually impossible to look back through old postings in any kind of
> sensible way.

I've got twenty years worth of traffic from this list (and the survex list
which goes to the same mailbox) - I subscribed 2003-06-10 according to the
first message in the mailbox. So unless you can find an alternative into
which you can merge all the last couple of decades of messages, you will
end up with your cave surveying discussion archive split into two separate
places using different software, with no "search both" method and no way
to reply to an old message on the new platform. And yes, I do resume
discussions by replying to decade old emails, if they become relevant again,
since I tend to remeber when we've discussed somethig before and always
prefer to go back to an existing context if it's available.

Mention was made of "matrix", but last time someone pointed me at a matrix
discussion, all I got was a page about what software I might to choose to
install. I really want stuff to use technology I already use, not overload
my tech with yet more purpose-specific applications. Email replaced phones
thirty years ago, and nothing seems to be coming close to replacing email.
Stick with what we've got and kick ass to get more people involved !

Andy