3D passage wall modeling

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:35:26 +0100

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:59:14PM +0200, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> Does anybody have any sugestions, where I should continue searching for
> such a software?

I'm currently writing it!

http://www.tartarus.org/~olly/solidtunnel.png

This is a modified version of the Survex aven viewer.

The shading is currently just done by depth and the angle of each
triangular facet to a light source, which makes the facets rather
visible (which is actually useful for checking the triangulation
algorithm).  It'll be smoothly shaded in the finished version.

> [Requirements]

Currently I assume that I've a series of points inside the passage, and
at each point I have one or more radial measurements to the walls.  This
is pretty general, and covers what you describe.

> 4. the input should be as minimal, as it can be - it should be able for
> example to read LR dimensions from vectorized plan map (may be also the
> cross section shapes). Or it should be enought to specify, that this
> passage has flat ceiling 2m above station X, and all "up" dimensions would
> be calculated from this information.

I've not written any sort of data reading code for this yet - I'm just
working on the triangulation and rendering at the moment.  The data is
currently just made up with a random number generator.

It'll be a few months before it'll be ready for public consumption, but
I can probably put together an alpha release much sooner if people are
interested in having a play.