3D passage wall modeling

Stacho Mudrak s.m@speleo.sk
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:59:14 +0200

Hello,

I've been searching a lot for a software, that could do a realistic 3D
model of the cave passages, but without success. In fact, only the old
version of Tunnel supports other types of cross-sections, than rectangles.
But it requires a huge amount of input data - at least my first experience
was like that.

Does anybody have any sugestions, where I should continue searching for
such a software?

Now I have decided to experiment a little bit and do it my self (as part of
therion project), but I would like to know, whether there has been done
something in this direction. Do you know any papers, articles or web pages
to this topic?

Our requirements are following - most of them I believe are very common:

1. the passage walls should be defined by a series of cross sections around
some centerline

2. centerline should be somehow referenced to survey stations (independant
of survey shots network)

3. the cross sections should be oriented in any direction and defined by
shape (standard or user defined) and UDLR dimensions. The existing UDLR
data must be readable without any other user input.

4. the input should be as minimal, as it can be - it should be able for
example to read LR dimensions from vectorized plan map (may be also the
cross section shapes). Or it should be enought to specify, that this
passage has flat ceiling 2m above station X, and all "up" dimensions would
be calculated from this information.

5. the output of this algorithm should be triangulation of passage walls.

I would be very thankfull for any other ideas concerning this topic. For
example, how a cross section orientation can be defined? How to make cross-
sections morphing - when you have defined only cross section at the
begining and at the end of passafe, the rest are only UDLR data? How to
select points on cross-sections, that has to be connected to create a
correct triangle network?

Greetings, Stacho.