BCRA Grade 5

chris_smart Chris_Smart@compuserve.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:14:01 -0500

I found it very interesting to read =

>> People are slightly more discerning than that. They call a CC&T survey=

that
> they took reasonable care over a grade 5 survey. One they took little
care
> over (or used inferior equipment) they call grade 3, or maybe 4 if they=

> felt it was somewhere between.<

I have been very annoyed over the years looking at expedition surveys tha=
claim BCRA grade 5.  My understanding is that to achieve such a grade nee=
ds
calibration with local maps in order to obtain local magnetic declination=

and that this be measured before and after every surveying trip. In my
experience of Nepal, China and India these maps have never been available=
 -
we have surveyed to grade 5 standard but without the calibration and
consequently claimed BCRA Grade 4.

Chris Smart