BCRA Grade 5

Thrun Robert IHMD ThrunR@ih.navy.mil
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:48:34 -0500

I can't proofread my freshly typed text.  I meant to say that
Larry Fish did NOT try to evaluate accuracy or compare the
loop error distribution to any assumed measurement accuracy.

He was only looking for the occurance of blunders.  Depending
on his definition of "standard deviation" for evaluating loops,
he could make a very nice comparison.

Sorry for my mistake.

I'll make a further explanation.  Every program that closes loops
or adjusts traverses gives some indication of the amount of
adjustment needed.  With random errors, one loop may have a small
error, a similar loop might have a large error...  To get some
indication of the overall accuracy or consistency of a survey,
you have to look at the distribution of many closure adjustments.
COMPASS does make some sort of comparison with assumed accuracy,
but Larry did not look at the distribution of the loop errors.

   Bob Thrun