Mapping software

S t e v e n h a g e n stevenhagen@xs4all.nl
Wed, 1 May 2002 23:10:01 +0200

MAPINFO
=======
I use MAPINFO to combine vector and raster graphics, but that is a
professional solution

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
==============================
At this moment I am writing a program to convert vectorgraphics in SVG
(Scalable Vector Graphics)
Because I use MAPINFO I start with exported .mif files.
A next step will be adding scanned maps to a SVG page.
I will show the results on http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/geonet/ when I am
ready.

For more information about SVG:
http://www.adobe.com/svg/community/external.html (you need to download a
plug in)
http://www.w3.org/2002/Talks/0328-Amsterdam-IH/directoryslide.svgz
For vector minded people not yet aware of the power of SVG and who want to
use internet as a medium to publish, a must to visit

Other examples of techniques of "the way I do it" , to give you some
inspiration:
==============

ATLASGIS --> MAPINFO --> BMP --> GIF  ---> HTML  Cascade Style Sheets
http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/geonet/z1/index.html

MAPINFO vector + jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/atlantis/alu4.htm

MAPINFO vector -->  converted into GIF
http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/top/vlk.htm

DXF --> MAPINFO --> BMP --> GIF
http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/top/nrd.htm

An old map in 3D: MAPINFO (countourmapping) --> MIF -- VisualBasic -->
txt --> SURFER - DEM3d + scanned map
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Ed.Stevenhagen/groeven/pic2x.jpg

3D with scanned JPG + Adobe Photoshop
http://www.xs4all.nl/~estevenh/3d/index.htm