UIS grades - update

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:56:34 +0000

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:05:07PM +0100, Philipp Haeuselmann wrote:
> 4. One of the names given with the 1978 table is E. B. Ellis. The 1973
> and 1975 revisions were disseminated in the British press by B. M.
> Ellis. Are these persons the same, and who of them is Bryan Ellis, the
> author of the well-known book "Cave Surveying"? Is he still around to
> ask?

Bryan Ellis' middle initial was "M".  Sadly he died a year or two ago:

http://www.bcra.org.uk/hidden-earth/rules.bryanellis.html

I don't think he wrote a book called "Cave Surveying".  There's "An
Introduction to Cave Surveying" and "Surveying Caves".

It's possible E. B. Ellis is a typo.  "Surveying Caves" was edited by B. Ellis,
commonly written as "Ed. B. Ellis".  It's possible someone thought that "Ed."
was the author's first name (short for Edward or Edmund).  I'm not aware of a
UK cave surveyor named E. B. Ellis.

Incidentally, Anthony Day and some others are currently updating the
Introduction book which is currently out of print.  I think this is going to
include some minor revisions to the B.C.R.A. grades, but I'm not sure of the
details.