CDFO: Raw Data _and_ XML

Richard Knapp gyp_caver@yahoo.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:22:47 -0500 (EST)

>What I would propose is that the text in the survey notebook
>is copied out character for character into a text window.  ...
>[snip]
>following XML constructs (which works like a <pre></pre>
>in html):
>
><source_survey   form="SurvexStandard1999">
><![CDATA[
>    ; survey text copied from the paper.
>   *units metres
>   A B  10 10 9
>]]>
></source_survey>

This seems to be reasonable. Since XML allows parts of the structure to be safely ignored, it
doesn't impose a burden on anything.

To me, it still seems odd to have the data in there like that.  It is an _extensible_ format but it
seems this could be easily handled with XSL transformations (from the native to XML might be a
little more work but definately back would be simple).