Survex 1.2.8 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Oct 30 19:39:29 GMT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:06:22AM +0100, Graham Mullan wrote:
> So the way in which it is visualised needs to be changed & Aven needs to be
> able to vary the transparency of the surface layer, possibly in the same way
> that it now (to my delight) varies the transparency of splays, but more
> incrementally. It'll need to do it on the fly as well.

This is already on my todo list.  We have various bits of code already
(including code to plot the surface with variable transparency) but they
really need connecting together into a complete solution.

1.2.8 adds code to handle different projections (via libproj), which is
one of the key parts needed.

Incidentally loading the terrain data directly (rather than converting
it into survey legs) will likely significantly reduce the memory used
(since terrain data points don't need all the metadata which survey legs
have).

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:15:01AM +0100, Graham Mullan wrote:
> incorporating the several million point data sets from laser scanning
> of large chambers with conventional survey data to produce models that
> could be visualised and manipulted in Aven

That would certainly be nice, though since current versions don't
support this, it's not a reason to need a 64-bit build now.