Retire Survex 1.0.x?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Oct 29 22:15:01 GMT 2013

Survex 1.2.7 introduced a new version of the 3d format, which Survex
1.0.40 will no longer be able to read.  I could update 1.0.40 with the
latest 3d file reading code, but I think we've probably reached a point
where it's better to formally retire 1.0.x and focus effort on 1.2.x
instead.

I think the only likely reason to be using 1.0.x still is because 1.2.x
requires OpenGL support, and on an older machine without hardware
acceleration, that may be painful.  But is anyone actually using such
a machine still?

Or are there any other reasons why you're still using 1.0.x?

Note that I no longer have the setups needed to allow me to build
versions for platforms which 1.2.x dropped support for (RISC OS and MS
DOS).  MS DOS really is totally irrelevant now, but if you're one of
those die-hard RISC OS users, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

You can also force newer Survex to write older format 3d files, which
at least provides a way to make 3d files which these older versions
can read.