More on xcaverot vs Digital Unix

Phil Benchoff benchoff@vt.edu
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:35:54 -0500

I posted here last week about some problems I was having running xcaverot
on Digital Unix.  The buttons (including the tilt and rotate on the right)
have no visible text.  They do work.  Labels do display if I turn them on.
My suspicion is that the labels for the buttons are not displaying
due to background=foreground or some similar attribute problem.

I have a working copy (including the recent patch 1) on a Linux machine,
so I know pretty much what the display should look like.

I haven't ever done any X programming, but I played with the code a bit
to see if I could get the labels to display.  In the process, I used xrdb
to set *foreground and *background.  That did not cause any changes when
I started xcaverot until I ran the program from an xterm that I had
started with the new defaults.  The labels displayed once, but tests
following that didn't show the labels.  This is really acting like something
isn't being initialized.  ( I know that's not a very useful report since
I can't reproduce it. )

Anyway, I decided to see what would happen if I disabled the double
buffering code and added have_double_buffering = 0 right after the
test.  I now get labels on the buttons.  I don't have any man pages
on the Xdbe stuff, so I don't know what else to do.  Maybe this will
help someone figure out what is going on.

Phil