Aven crashes on macOS 27 — locale workaround
Olly Betts
olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 23 01:29:49 BST 2026
On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 02:24:10AM +0100, Olly Betts via Survex wrote:
> The wxLocale docs suggest using wxUILocale instead for apps which
> target macOS due to various bugs in previous macOS releases. We'd need
> to then use wxTranslations for the wx messages it seems.
>
> That's probably not going to be a quick fix though, especially as I
> don't have a Mac for testing on.
I had an idea, and found I can run aven in the CI job and it seems to
crash quickly if it's going to; if all is OK it just runs (presumably
using a virtual display, but I don't know how to see that). So I can
wait a minute or so to make sure it's not going to crash and then kill
the CI job.
I've pushed changes to use wxUILocale and wxTranslations which seem to
avoid the problem while still allowing users to override the translation
to use. It works for wxGTK and seems good in the limited wxMac testing
I can do via CI.
Please can you test?
You can install the development version via homebrew - see:
https://github.com/ojwb/homebrew-survex/#development-version
Cheers,
Olly
More information about the Survex
mailing list