Survex on Windows, invalid coordinate system / invalid PROJ string syntax

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Apr 24 22:13:47 BST 2024

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 09:57:51PM +0200, detrito wrote:
> horewer I was not able to install it myself (without admin rights).

I think if you run the installer and have an existing install it will
automatically upgrade that, and if you have an existing "admin" install
(which an install of any recent release <= 1.4.6 will be) you'll need
admin rights to upgrade it.

If you want to switch to a non-admin install, you need to uninstall
first (which will presumably needs admin rights) then you can make a
fresh install without admin rights.

The non-admin install will only be visible to the user that installed
it, but I suspect most users are effectively on single-user machines
anyway.

You *might* be able to force a non-admin install even with an existing
admin install by running the installer with the /CURRENTUSER command
line option (e.g. from a command window).  I'd probably not recommend
this unless you really need a new version and can't get whoever has
admin rights to uninstall the old one.  If you try it, check carefully
that the new install is actually getting used e.g. when you double click
on a .3d file.

(This is all based on my understanding of the documentation for the
installer builder we use.)

I ought to update the manual to reflect this change, and mention the
upgrade scenario - there's a reason it is that way, but it isn't obvious
without understanding the mechanics.