Fedora 35 vs. Survex package

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Nov 6 22:41:10 GMT 2021

On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 07:33:57PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 11:57:02AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> > Survex works with proj8 now (and is in debian)
>
> Just to avoid confusion, as of yesterday there's support for PROJ >=
> 8.2.0 in the Survex git repository (git is the version control system we
> used) but a Survex release of this code (the first will be 1.4.0) is
> still to do, and this code isn't yet in Debian.
>
> This is likely to be almost all resolved by the end of the weekend.

I've now released Survex 1.4.0 - see other recent email for
announcement,

> The exception is if you're stuck with PROJ 8.0.x or 8.1.x packages,
> which would need additional work to support.  I'm hoping we can avoid
> having to worry about those but let us know if you're in this situation.
> So far the only stable distro release I'm aware with such a package is
> OpenBSD 7.0, which I would guess isn't widely used with Survex.

We've managed to get the updated code to work back to PROJ 7.2.0
(many thanks to echarlie for testing this on 7.2.1 and 8.0.0, and for
identifying and helping to fix a performance issue with the changes).

So there should be no issue of being stuck with a PROJ version we don't
support (and there's even some overlap in supported PROJ versions
between Survex 1.2.x and 1.4.x).