TerrainTool

Mike McCombe mikemccombe at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 30 14:28:53 BST 2021

The SRTM dataset used by TerrainTool has been moved (again!) by the US
hosting team and now requires users to be logged in to an EROS account to
access it. Whilst registering for an EROS account is pretty straightforward
and free, this effectively forces users to use the tools provided by
USGS/EROS to select and download the tiles they need. The immediate effect
of this is that TerrainTool's auto-download feature no longer works, and,
with regret, I have decided that it is not feasible to implement a stable
solution when the host addresses and access protocols are subject to
frequent change without notice.

In due course, I will release a new version of TerrainTool that has the
auto-download feature tidily removed and will update the documentation
including how to open an EROS account, which of their tools are recommended
and where to place the data once it has been downloaded.

Mike