Aven on hiDPI screens

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Sep 9 00:06:55 BST 2021

On 2021-09-08 23:17 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 03:56:02PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > So instead I tried just putting '2' as the scaling factor and it
> > doesn't seem to work either, so this may be the wrong approach.
>
> Scope isn't really your problem - your patch appears to be trying to
> just make the default size of the main window two (or whatever) times
> larger in each direction,

Yes I realised after posting that I was operinating on the main
window, not the GL Pane, so realised I needed to fiddle inside
gla-gl.cc. I had got as far as something approaching half your patch,
when your better version arrived.

> The known issues are with the OpenGL pane inside that window.  The parent
> window should ensure that this pane is sized to fill the space available
> for it, so I doubt it's the size of this pane either.  I think the first
> problem is that the reported size of the pane needs scaling for OpenGL:
>
> This appears to make the OpenGL pane use the full space available when
> tested with a normal display and GDK_SCALE=2, but I'm not confident that
> setting GDK_SCALE would fully emulate the situation when OpenGL is in the
> mix

Your patch does indeed correctly size the pane when GDK_SCALE=2 is
set, so is a major impovement (because the text in the menus and
survey tree and footer is twice as big and thus useable).

> This patch probably also still leaves you with tiny text and indicators
> inside the OpenGL, in which case those need scaling up to match.

You are correct: it does.

It also seems to be almost impossible to click on a station to select
it, (I think that select-radius setting is changeable in the config
file?)

> Is hidpi actually always 2x currently?  If so we could probably ship
> a pre-calculated bitmap font that's suitable for 2x for now.

3x is reasonable on my screen (283dpi vs typical nominal 96dpi) but 2x
is useable, unlike 1x.

This whole 'lie about the resolution' thing seems like a horrible
hack to me. Things should just do something sensible according to the
screen DPI. Hopefully that will come eventually.

http://wookware.org/