Trouble generating terrain data with TerrainTool

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Sep 7 06:09:40 BST 2021

On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 02:41:37PM +0000, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> 2. In the error meesage it asks for a "NASADEM_HGT_S16W048.zip" file
> but the file available at
> "https://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/MEASURES/NASADEM_HGT.001/2000.02.11/" is
> called "NASADEM_HGT_s16w048.zip". Please notice the different case of
> the South and West abbreviations. I even created a symlink inside
> "~/.local/share/terraintool/" from "NASADEM_HGT_S16W048.zip" to
> "NASADEM_HGT_s16w048.zip" but I'm still getting the same exact error.

I can't help with TerrainTool usage as I don't use it, but I'll note
that you should be able to load a file like NASADEM_HGT_S16W048.zip
directly into aven using `File->Open Terrain`.

This has the advantage of rendering it as a surface rather than a grid,
but you don't currently get auto-downloading of the tile for the area
your survey is in, and there are probably some other useful things
TerrainTool can do that aven doesn't yet.