LONG-LAT Coordinate system unsuitable for output error

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 1 23:35:47 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 03:56:34PM +0000, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the *cs command. My *fix data is in LONG-LAT
> and the "*cs LONG_LAT" command seems to work but if I try to set "*cs
> out LONG_LAT" I get the following error:
>
> > error: Coordinate system unsuitable for output
> >   *cs out LONG-LAT

The output coordinate system needs to be an X,Y,Z grid in metres as
it's the space in which coordinates are calculated - latitude and
longitude in degrees won't work as they are angular measurements.

If you don't have a particular suitable output coordinate system you
want to use, the UTM zone which covers the area you are working in is a
reasonable choice.