Exporting to other formats

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun May 3 23:48:23 BST 2020

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 09:39:06AM +0200, Matic Di Batista wrote:
> ./survexport.exe --clamp-to-ground --passages
> sistem_pokljuskega_grebena.3d pokljuka.kml
> s: e: F

Thanks for the .3d file.  You sent evklidova_piscal.3d not
sistem_pokljuskega_grebena.3d - does this happen for you with
the file you sent too?

With evklidova_piscal.3d it works for me both on Linux, and using the
Windows build under wine.  I don't have an actual Windows machine to
test on.

Looking at the code, I'm guessing "s: e: F" is trying to report an
exception, but there's a wide-character string being interpreted as
a byte-character string, so we only get the first character of each
string:

        wxFprintf(stderr, wxT("%s: %s: %s\n"),
                  msg_appname(), wmsg(/*error*/93), m);

So "s" is survexport, "e" is error, and the actual error message starts
with "F".

I think it must be "Failed to initialise input coordinate system “%s”"
or "Failed to initialise output coordinate system “%s”".  It's unlikely
to be the output one as that's just WGS84, but the input one is
specified in the .3d file.  You can see it with dump3d:

$ src/dump3d evklidova_piscal.3d|grep '^CS '
CS +init=epsg:3912 +no_defs

I'm guessing the EPSG code definitions aren't being found (they should
get installed along with Survex), but not sure what's going wrong.

I'll fix the reporting of the error message, and then at least we can
confirm what the error being reported actually is.