Survex 1.2.38 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Mar 6 04:01:52 GMT 2019

Survex 1.2.38 is now available:

https://survex.com/download.html

This is not a very exciting release - mostly I wanted to address the
incorrect definition of "mils".  I suspect nobody is actually using
them as for bearings, you'd get a warning about the value being too
large for about 93% of readings.  But for clino readings it might
escape notice.

Here's the full NEWS file entry for this release:

Changes in 1.2.38 (2019-03-02):

* cavern:

  + Deprecate MILS as angular units.  Survex has long support MILS as an alias
    for GRADS.  However, this seems to be a bogus definition of a "mil" which
    is unique to Survex (except that Therion has since copied it) - there are
    several different definitions of a "mil" but they vary from 6000 to 6400 in
    a full circle, not 400.  Reported by Andy Edwards.

  + Fix segfault for *include "".  This isn't useful, but shouldn't crash.  It
    now reports "file not found" instead.

  + Use isnan() to check for not-a-number.  This is cleaner, more robust and
    more efficient than formatting the number as a string and checking for
    "NaN" or "nan" in the result.

* Avoid unused variable warning when compiling from source with modern ffmpeg.

* Drop support for wxWidgets < 3.0.  3.0.0 was released over 5 years ago and
  should be easily available everywhere by now.  I'm no longer easily able to
  test with wxWidgets 2.8, and this allows a significant amount of cruft to be
  removed.

* (Linux version): survex.spec: Fedora have removed gcc from the default build
  environment so need to explicitly list it in the BuildRequires tag.  See
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_GCC_from_BuildRoot for more
  information.  Patch from James Begley.

Here are SHA256 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

70920158d2a309d872080f3f5ad3e2bcac212f34803fd869cfff90f6c25a685a  survex-1.2.38.tar.gz
55bc4ff4d11060c764e496b6ab93768f7c477a7daaa4ff4e23c021c30999ba6d  survex-win32-1.2.38.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
https://survex.com/software/1.2.38/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

https://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.38

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (https://trac.survex.com/).