Survex 1.2.40 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jul 4 04:16:57 BST 2019

Survex 1.2.40 is now available:

https://survex.com/download.html

I actually prepared a 1.2.39 release a few days ago, but then spotted
a problem with the install location of a new file.  I'd already uploaded
the release so avoid to any risk of confusion I've made a fresh release.

Here's the full NEWS file entry for the two releases:

Changes in 1.2.40 (2019-07-04):

* aven: Draw the measuring line ring with an even shape.  Previously the exact
  shape of the ring varied slightly depending on the exact coordinates, which
  could be visually distracting once you noticed it.

* We were casting a function pointer with a bool return type to the same type
  but with a void return type.  In practice this probably works fine on most
  platforms, but it's undefined behaviour and also gives a compiler warning
  with some compilers.

* Fix bug introduce in 1.2.39 with where the "esri" data file for PROJ is
  installed.

Changes in 1.2.39 (2019-06-29):

* Support versions 5.x and 6.x of the PROJ library we use for handling
  conversions between coordinate systems.  Reported by Bas Couwenberg
  in #102, by Richard Knapp in #103 and by Martin Sluka in email.

* (Unix and Mac OS versions): When checking if something is a file or if it is
  a directory, we no longer treat a symlink as being neither, but instead
  return an answer based on what the symlink points to.

* aven:

  + Improve handling of hidden splay ends.  Previously, hidden splay ends still
    served as "targets" for snapping the mouse pointer to, and still got
    crosses when crosses were enabled.  We don't have a handy flag for "this is
    the outer end of a splay" and computing that on demand isn't so easy to do,
    so for now we use the "anonymous station" flag so at least these cases now
    behave properly for splays to anonymous stations (which is likely to be
    what people with huge numbers of splays from disto-x, etc are using).  This
    does mean that anonymous stations on continuation passages will incorrectly
    also be off when splays are hidden, but that seems an OK trade-off for now
    and a definite improvement over the previous situation.  The snapping of
    the mouse pointer was reported by Frank Tully in #105.

  + Fix typo in export UI (CVS should be CSV).

* Documentation:

  + Add CSV to documented list of survexport output formats.

  + Fix *declination syntax synopsis - "auto" is a literal string, not a
    placeholder.

  + Update PROJ project name and website - the name is now "PROJ" (all caps and
    no ".4" suffix) and the website is now: https://proj.org/

* Install gtksourceview-3.0 language file so .svx files now get syntax
  highlighting in gedit and other GtkSourceView-based editors.  Patch
  from Philip Withnall.  Fixes #98.

* (Microsoft Windows version): The Survex installer doesn't uninstall the old
  version when you upgrade, but just overwrites it with the new version.  In
  1.2.35 cad3d.exe was replaced with survexport.exe, but a user upgrading from
  an older version would still have cad3d.exe from that old version.  We now
  remove any old cad3d.exe left over from a previous install in the same
  location to avoid confusion.

* Add a few more message translations.

* Fix warnings when built with a C++11 compiler.

Here are SHA256 checksums should you want to verify the integrity of the
files:

5a54d5903b887c0c5dd9c4f8e509466bfd44368934e2cd3b647f13e4b05047c9  survex-1.2.40.tar.gz
0ab1c45e7e269e42c9895d30c6f9e6d4485e699662173ba83a4c7782e7c8f9ae  survex-win32-1.2.40.exe

There are also detached GPG signatures in the download directory:
https://survex.com/software/1.2.40/

There are "release notes" on the wiki, which I'll try to keep updated
with any issues found, so take a look there for the latest information:

https://trac.survex.com/wiki/ReleaseNotes/1.2.40

Please report any issues you find which are not covered in the release
notes to the bug tracker (https://trac.survex.com/).