MAK file

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 10 22:05:32 BST 2018

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 04:44:27PM +0200, Darek Lubomski wrote:
> Is Survex read FIX point location from MAK file?

It's supposed to be able to.

> I asking beacuse when eporting from 3d to gpx got bad cordinates.
>
> My svx file:
>
> *begin
> *case preserve
>
> *cs out LONG-LAT

This gives an error from cavern because it isn't a valid output
coordinate system - I used UTM33N instead.

> *cs LONG-LAT
>
> *include 340.MAK
> *end
>
> MAK file:
>
> /SEF dir: 340
> #340.DAT,
> 340:340     [m,13.050,47.530,2015.000];

And I guess your 340.DAT defines a station called 340:340?

> After processing this 3d file looks corectly but in gps file get:

> So elewation is corect but lon and lat is wrong.

It looks to me like the problem is that Survex interprets the fixed
point's coordinates as all being in metres, which is because that's what
is documented here:

http://www.fountainware.com/compass/HTML_Help/Project_Manager/formatfixed.htm

"The coordinates item begins with a “Units” command that specifies the
unit that should be used for the location coordinates."  Note that's
coordinate*s* plural, and that the example given clearly has the
X and Y in feet.

However it seems in your case at least that the X and Y are actually
in degrees.  We can handle that fairly easily, except I'm not sure
how to know whether they're in the feet/metres that the spec say or
not, and if not, what coordinate system to interpret them as being in.
How does Compass know this?

Perhaps you could share a cut-down version of 340.DAT?