Survex 1.2.33 released

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Fri Mar 23 23:47:19 GMT 2018

On 2018-03-23 22:07 +0000, mikemccombe wrote:
> So, for Windows users, who must make up a large part, probably the majority of
> the Survex base, are we expected to trust untested releases? I realise there
> are some 'personality' issues here but  'Release' has to apply to ALL of the
> platforms that survex claims to support. Retreating into a specific corner of
> Linuxworld is only going to result in Survex being replaced by something new
> with more capability and a better fit to whatever platform real people use.
> Sorry to be a shit-bag but it's time to push back against what seems like
> complacency.

Survex is cross-built for Windows, and has been for about 20 years
now. Nothing has changed here. No-one is 'retreating' anywhere, you
silly man. Survex usage appears to have survived this state of afairs
for some time, and I don't see that that's likely to change.

And you will perhaps be surprised to find out that 'real people' use
various platforms. Have you been to the pub or something? This seems a
bizarrely intemperate email.

Ol presumably does have access to a Windows box at least sometimes,
because he manages to fix bugs there. But I really don't see anything
wrong with a process where the package is built and you lot test it
(on a range of versions which no one person is ever going to
own). When you start paying for a fancier service you can demand more
complete testing procedures. In the meantime this crowd-sourced test
procedure seems to be working quite well, with this particular bug
found almost immediately, and no doubt fixed quite quickly too.

http://wookware.org/